If you’ve never eaten vegan food, now’s the time to try it. This simple easy to follow plant-based recipe is not only delicious, it’s nutritious too. Using seasonal local asparagus, this dish is ticking all the boxes!
The vegan ingredients are easy to buy and you’ll find the nutritional yeast in the ‘free from’ section in your local shop.
Asparagus Tart | Serves 4
250g plain flour
125g vegan block butter
6-8 tbsp chilled water
2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
450g firm tofu
6-8 tbsp oat milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp dried thyme
½ lemon – juice only
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp vegan cheese, grated
1. Put the flour, vegan butter and salt in a food processor and process to fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add the water and pulse gently until the dough comes together (do the last bit by hand so you don’t over work the dough).
3. Roll out the pastry to line a 24cm flan ring and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
5. Cut the asparagus spears to the right length for your flan ring and slice the remaining stalk into rounds.
6. Cook in boiling water for 3 minutes and cool under running cold water. Leave to drain.
7. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and baking beans and cook for 15 minutes or until the base looks dry. Remove from the oven.
8. Roughly chop the tofu and put in a food processor with the other ingredients and process until smooth. Add more oat milk if required to make the consistence of lightly whipped cream.
9. Pour the filling into the pastry case, scatter with the chopped asparagus and arrange the spears on the top. Scatter with the grated cheese.
10. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until risen and golden.