Halloumi cheese is used a lot in Middle Eastern cooking and has a strong salty flavour and squeaky texture. It is similar to the firm mozzarella you can buy in a block and is great for barbecues as it has a high melting point.
This salad is super quick to put together and the halloumi cheese can be the last thing you cook on the barbecue as it takes just under 1 minute to cook.
Serves 4 as an accompaniment
200g frozen broad beans
juice of 1 lemon
6 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
½ red chilli, finely sliced
1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
250g block of halloumi cheese, cut into approximately 12 slices
1. Cook the broad beans in boiling water for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool them in cold water. Pop them out of their skins revealing the lovely green beans inside and put them into a largish serving bowl.
2. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil in a screw top jar and add seasoning.
3. Peel the courgette into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler and add to the bowl with the broad beans.
4. Add the sliced red chilli and chopped coriander to the bowl.
5. Shake up the dressing and pour over the salad. Season well and mix thoroughly to combine.
6. Place the slices of halloumi cheese on the barbecue and cook for 15-20 seconds on each side, until lightly browned.
7. Arrange the cheese on top of the salad and serve.